Great premise

Death's Good Dog: An Aztec West Novella - T.L. Morganfield

I've read the first two of this author's Bone Flower trilogy, and I have really enjoyed those.  I don't know of any other fantasy authors who write with the Aztec theme in their work.  It has led me to read up some more on Aztec mythology, and I've come to the conclusion that it is really under appreciated.

Do not expect info-dumping in here.  To be honest, I tend to skim the info-dumps when they happen in other books.  The things we need to know are gradually learned as the story progresses, which is exactly how it should be done.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this story.  It's very unlike the Bone Flower books, set at a point in time after Christianity has become the prevalent religion and the Aztec gods are mostly dead or in hiding, with very little power.  The main character, Xolotl, was very sympathetic and likable.  He's a sort of underdog character that is very easy to root for.  That said, I also found the angel, Raphael, very intriguing and I'm hoping to learn more about him as the series continues.

The plot was enjoyable, promising to be a lot of fun, but still with some emotional turmoil mixed in.  There are a few unanswered questions, and a great deal is still left to be done.  This novella felt very much like a prologue to a potentially very large story.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.