The Mermaid's Madness - Jim C. Hines I enjoyed the version of the Little Mermaid in here. It's one of my favorite fairy tales. I learned the original one before the Disney movie with the happy ending. It's one of the most heartbreaking, and Jim Hines managed to make this one even more so. Getting darker than the original Little Mermaid is quite an accomplishment, but Hines manages to temper this with his own light humor as well.

There was good growth for most of the characters in this one. I enjoyed Snow's tutelage under Morveren, and the questions she asked herself about her own motivation, about what made her different from her own mother. It seems to me that the key difference is that Snow actually is concerned with that.

Talia is a character I enjoy a great deal, with her prickly personality. We're given a little bit more insight into her relationship with Queen Bea and with Snow, and it makes her a bit easier to understand. She's perhaps the most compelling character in the group.

I appreciate that one of the heroines, Danielle, is a wife and a mother. Too often, marriage and children is the end of the story for a character, as if life ceases to have any exciting or interesting challenges after these events. Contrary to what most fantasy, romance and adventure novels would lead a person to believe, life doesn't end with marriage or childbirth! It's wonderful having a character that a parent can relate to.

There were some important revelations among the characters in this book, and the ramifications of them remain to be seen. I look forward to reading more of the series to see where this all goes.