Soulless - Gail Carriger I'm not sure I really get Steampunk. I realize this book was poking fun at a lot of Victorian sensibilities, but it often really just took me out of the story, hearing her go on about the cheap shirt a vampire was wearing after she'd just killed him. I can see where it would be appealing to a lot of people, but it fell flat for me.

The story in general was fun. I always enjoy seeing different authors' interpretations of popular supernatural creatures. I haven't read the soulless/preternatural concept before, and it was quite interesting, as well as some of the rules as to how vampires and werewolves create more of their own kind.

The book was recommended to me for the romance. I complained that I tend to dislike romance novels, but I still crave love stories in books. And genres that are not romance often don't have romance in them. So, I was told this one had a very prominent romance, and it did deliver, in that regard. That said, there wasn't really anything new or at all unique about the romance within. It was a typical Moonlighting, "I hate you, no, I love you!" sort of relationship.

I don't think I'm going to read anymore in this series, but there are probably friends of mine to whom I would still recommend this.