Tongues of Serpents: A Novel of Temeraire - Naomi Novik Well, I suppose I enjoyed this book, but I have to say it was the weakest of the series so far. The plot meandered so badly, all throughout. I kept feeling as though I was only reading the set-up, even when I realized I was more than half-way finished with the novel.

Generally, a lot of social issues are brought up in these novels, and this delivered a lot less of that than the previous books. There is some outrage over Rankin being allowed to have another dragon, after the way he'd treated Levitas. And I recall him being the guy absolutely nobody liked. All of a sudden it seems as though Granby and Laurence are the only people not hanging on his every word. Of course, they're out of their element.

The bunyips made me think of the movie Tremors, a bit, although they obviously were not worms. Still, very frightening to imagine something might just burrow right under your feet.

All of the previous books managed to grab me, emotionally, and this one just didn't. I never felt really invested in what happened in this one. I'm hoping the next one has a bit more plot. This one just felt like half a book.