Sailing to Sarantium  - Guy Gavriel Kay I hadn't expected this to be so incomplete. I knew it was part of a series, but I expected some closure, some logical end-point. I really feel as if I've just read half a book.

The prologue was unbearable. I would've given up on the book completely if my husband hadn't already read it and assured me it was a good book. It was so long, and I just could not manage to become interested in it. Once I got past the prologue, though, I did enjoy it. I was immediately drawn-in. I found Crispin immediately likable and very alive and interesting.

One thing I did not care for, and it's been a while since I've read Kay's work so maybe he does this with all of his books, was the excessive foreshadowing. I'd rather just wait and find out than be told that something is about to happen. And he also has a tendency to provide viewpoints of characters who are unimportant to the grand scheme of things, whom we're never going to see again. I don't need all of this. I realize they serve a purpose, but I think there could be more effective ways to achieve it.

I am most frustrated with Kasia. Two-thirds of the way through the book, apparently she walked into someone's room and her life changed forever. Her point of view never reappeared in the book. I have no idea what the hell happened, and my desire to know what happened resulted in a lack of enthusiasm and skimming through the rest of the book. Frankly, this pisses me off.

It's not just loose ends, it's literally half a book. I can't remember the last time I've read a book that ended so abruptly and awkwardly. Crispin is supposed to have dinner plans that were made at one point, which never occurred, and I guess also have to come in the next book.

So, now that I'm finished with this, although I did enjoy portions of it, I'm mostly just really annoyed. I can't even start reading the next book for a while, because my husband is still reading it. So for now I have to find something else.