A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) - George R.R. Martin I don't really know what to say about this. I rated it 2 stars because I guess I enjoyed parts of it? The overall feeling is bad, though, and I feel really bothered and annoyed with the direction of the storyline in almost every specific case. I put it down, completely fed up, after one of the Asha chapters, read a couple of other books, and then picked it up again. The author is supposedly "realistic" in that, you know, sometimes bad stuff happens and the good guys don't always win. But this is beyond unrealistic. This is gratuitously dark. And rapey, wtf. I don't even understand, at this point, how any of these characters managed to be born, or any of these long family lines survived long enough for these characters to exist, with all the bad things that constantly happen and how evil and rotten 90% of the people in the world seem to be. I felt really uncomfortable reading a lot of this. Even right from the very prologue, I was just sickened. But it really set the tone of the book. So, if you start it up and find the prologue off-putting, keep that in mind. I'm annoyed with this story, annoyed that I've invested so much in these characters to only watch pointless, horrible things happen to everybody.