Raven Flight (Shadowfell #2) - Juliet Marillier There are few books out there these days that have a truly pagan feel. I suppose Guy Gavriel Kay comes to mind as another author of historical fantasy that manages this, but no one quite compares to Juliet Marillier. I'm going to try to discuss this with only mild spoilers. If you don't want any, then you'd best not continue reading this review.

Many of the concepts in this book are things that feel like proverbial guns on the wall, that I expect will go off in book three. A major one is that they dare not love, not before Keldec is defeated, because he uses his victims' loved ones against them. I'll avoid giving explicit detail, but this is demonstrated about two thirds of the way through the book. What has been brought up is that Flint and Neryn's love for each other may yet be used against the two of them. I have been dreading this moment. Every moment Flint has spent working for Keldec, I have been on the edge of my seat dreading this particular gun on the wall.

I was pleased to get a lot of Tali in this book. I found her incredibly interesting in the previous book, and she is no less so by the end of Raven Flight, whose title, I believe, is in reference to Tali's tattoos.

In fairness, all of the characters are compelling. I was touched, as was Neryn, by the depiction of Regan saying his morning prayer, near the beginning, and it will stick with me throughout the series, I'm sure. She has a way of writing close friendships and romances that are incredibly poignant and ring true.

The one thing that I've had trouble with in this series is the phonetic accents of the Good Folk. I find them difficult and would prefer to just imagine the accents without having to read it that way. It's very distracting. But that is the only thing that didn't work for me in this series.

If her Sevenwaters series seemed to be growing a bit stale by the end, this series has all the magic of her earlier work. I am only sorry to be finished and having to wait for the next book. I may need to take a little break between books before I'm in the mood to read another author.