Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4) - Michael J. Sullivan If I didn't already have the next book in my Kindle, ready to be read, I'd be rushing out to find a copy of it, ASAP. Seriously, if you pick up this book, make sure you have Heir of Novron ready to go as soon as you're done, because the ending to this is so inconclusive and stressful.

Actually, most of this book was stressing me out. I've just gotten so attached to the characters. Arista in particular, but I don't feel I'm doing any justice to anyone by naming a favorite, because I'm really pretty attached to all of them. I feel I've gotten to know everyone quite well. They're all complex, and very vivid people. I also have to commend the author for Wesley. I'm revealing my inner D&D geek, but I absolutely loved seeing an intelligent character who was beyond a doubt Lawful Good in alignment. So often I see dutiful, honorable characters portrayed as dim-witted. It gets old. Wesley was really refreshing to see.

The ending caught me completely by surprise. Perhaps I should have guessed it, but I really didn't see it coming. I'm recommending this series to all my nerdy role-playing friends, and I mean that as a sincere compliment.