Below Stairs - Margaret Powell I'm going to do the best I can here, but I actually don't read much non-fiction. I just don't typically find it engaging. This was the selection for my book club for April, and the subject matter interested me. I'm just not sure how to review a memoir, because I feel I can't hold it to the standards to which I would hold a novel, can I?

At any rate, I found everything the author described fascinating. I typically get bored reading most non-fiction, so this says a great deal about her writing style. She paints a vivid picture of what it was like growing up poor in her time; it made me consider myself lucky to have what I do. She seemed very insightful when she spoke of the class differences, how They seemed to look at people in service as less than people. In many ways this can still be seen in the present day. I had to Google a few of the things she mentioned, like Gentlemen's Relish. Not a recipe I'm going to be trying out any time soon.

My one complaint, and I don't know if this is fair, is that I felt I was getting snapshots, when I really would have preferred a more complete story. I'd love to know what happened to the rest of her family. How did she meet Albert? So many things. But as I said, perhaps those are expectations more of a novel than a memoir.