Chains of Loss (Hero's Chains, #1) - Robert  Sier Wow, this was a lot of fun to read. I loved the premise, of a cyborg thrust into a fantasy setting. I'm generally not very interested in science fiction, because I suppose I find too much techno-jargon and the character development and plot gets lost beneath it. Of course, I've heard similar things said about fantasy in general, but one has to know which books to read.

The main character is easy to like, because he is utterly adorable. He's entirely well-meaning, naive, really innocent. Almost too much so. But over all I just wanted to give him a hug.

I was really interested in the world-building. I wanted to hear more about the city of Kaitopoulis, Lord Michael, and the Seraphs. The author has woven some mystery there, and I really want to know more. I also very much want to know more about their enemies, the vampires, the ricari, the Nhori. I found all of it really compelling and there just wasn't enough of it.

The portrayal of orcs as religious zealots was also interesting. The Reaver is a bit on the extreme, unambiguously evil side of things, which isn't really my favorite, but I'm still very interested. And I appreciated that when the orcs' treatment of people in the world was explained, it was also pointed out that while they have some cruel practices, it's nothing humans have never done at some point in history.

Some of the dialogue didn't feel entirely natural to me. It could be better. I also did think there were a few too many characters for such a short book. I realize it's part of a series, but if the rest is this short, I still feel it's too many characters.

I'm impressed with the way this author is handling the different paradigms. I can see he's put a great deal of work and thought into this, and I hope he comes to find some success. I'll be looking forward to more from him.