SPOILER ALERT!

61% of the way through...

The Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch

Just things I want to start writing down, so I remember them when I write up a real review after I finish this book.  I'm going to try to avoid spoilers, or rather, will only have minor spoilers.  For instance, anyone who has read the first two books knows Locke was in love with Sabetha and not over it.  And anyone who has read the blurb for Republic of Thieves knows that Sabetha is to appear in this book.  Got it?  Okay.

Mostly, I'm going to talk about the history between Locke and Sabetha as their relationship has been explored through flashbacks.  I'm going to be non-specific, but some may prefer not to read this.

I adore Sabetha.  I feel like she highlights so many feminist issues, and it's a lot of things that I'm just not used to seeing brought up.  Locke's feelings for her have problems, which she brings up.  The big one, to me, is that he practically deifies her.  At one point, while professing his feelings, he tells her he would be happy to kiss her shadow.  She is so high up on that pedestal.  And this has been a problem for her, thank goodness.  She's smart.  It took me some really terrible relationships to understand the problem with men who put women they have feelings for up on that pedestal.  I don't want to be worshiped.  I want to be seen and loved for who I really am, and that means recognizing the flaws I have.  I don't want a man who will be happy to kiss my shadow.

Another issue is Locke's ability to lead others.  He is not smarter than Sabetha.  Often, the two of them have the same ideas, yet when she suggests them, they're taken as mere suggestions.  When Locke suggests the very same ideas, everyone listens.  Bringing up her gender here is important.  I've been the only girl in a group of guys.  As a role-player, that used to be a common occurrence when I was younger.  It's hard.  You often become the subject of everyone's desire.  Like her, I had to turn down several of the male gamers I was friends with.

One issue I'm having with this, though, is Locke's pursuit of her.  It's a delicate thing, the author is doing.  I can't stand romantic comedies in which the woman rejects the man very clearly, and he continues to pursue her until she comes around.  She has not flat-out told Locke she doesn't want him.  Yet she has not been entirely encouraging.  So, it's very delicate.  I can sympathize with his desire for her to just give him a straight answer, although in my experience, when I had a thing for a guy I wasn't sure about and he was never clear, it was because he wasn't interested and was trying not to be harsh.

So, I'm really enjoying the issues the author is exploring through Locke and Sabetha's complicated relationship.

Now, back to reading...