There's promise here

Moon Called - Patricia Briggs

I've had a number of people tell me this series is really good.  I finally got around to starting it, and I admit I was expecting paranormal romance, something a little bit racy, along the lines of the Sookie Stackhouse series.  In that area, I admit to being somewhat disappointed.  There isn't really much in the way of romance in this particular book, although I'm hoping more is going to develop as I read on, and I do intend to read more of the series.

There is the start of a romantic storyline, which I would've liked to see more of.  One of the love interests just wasn't present as much as I would've liked.  I really wanted to get to know the character more than I was able.  Again, another hope for the next book.  And there's another sorta love interest that is so unappealing to me that if it gets delved into very much, it would probably cause me to quit reading the series.  So, we'll see.

I didn't realize the character was actually a coyote.  I had the mistaken impression that it was all about werewolves, and this was a pleasant surprise for me.  There was also mention that there is a lot more to the character's nature than she is yet aware of, and I'm really looking forward to learning more about that.

The main character was fairly likable, as were all the characters, actually.  I enjoyed them all.  If anything, though, there might've been too many.  I'd prefer to get to know some of the characters better rather than have the focus time spread as thin as it was.

The author's take on werewolves made plenty of sense, was really well thought-out.  I'm less sure about vampires, but I really liked the descriptions of a few of them, one in particular, in which she alluded to the uncanny valley.  This is the idea that if something not human gets too close to it, it's actually really off-putting.  It's referenced in regard to video games a lot, and I was pleased with seeing it applied to a vampire.

Overall, I found it engaging, even though there were things I would've liked to see more of.  I'm looking forward to the next one.