I can't believe it took me so long to read these

The Inheritance Trilogy Omnibus - N.K. Jemisin

People have been recommending this author for years, and I've heard nothing but good stuff about her. So, I felt I was not taking a huge risk by buying the omnibus version of this series, rather than just starting with the first book. I'll discuss these with minimal spoilers.

I have since heard some people had trouble getting into book one, but I did not. I was immediately intrigued by the setting, and especially the mythology of it. I right away wanted to know what was going to happen to Yeine as she became involved in a mess of political intrigue. Nahadoth, the god of darkness and chaos, was immediately compelling, and I couldn't get enough of him. There was more romance in this than I see in many other fantasy novels, other than Jacqueline Carey. I appreciated this because I enjoy a good love story, even though I'm don't tend to enjoy romance novels. There was no point in which I was bored with book one. The ending was not entirely unexpected, but I found it deeply satisfying.

Book two was from the point of view of Oree, a blind woman who can see magic. I missed Yeine a little bit, but at the same time I was glad she wasn't the main protagonist, because I liked seeing her story as relatively complete. I needed to adjust my mindset to accept Oree as my narrator, but once I did, I liked her a great deal. I initially had a little bit more difficulty getting very involved in the plot of the second book, because I couldn't figure out what it was. Oree seemed to meander from one crisis to another, like a leaf on the wind. But eventually things came together, and it came together as a beautiful and tragic love story that shook up the world the author had established. I cried at the end of this, and I've yet to meet anyone who has read this book who did not have the same response.

Book three was from the point of view of Sieh, the Trickster god. I had loved this character from the moment he came into book one, but I was a little bit unsure of how he would work as a narrator. I didn't need to worry, though. His story had a lot going on in it that didn't make sense at first, but came together beautifully in the end. There was a similar leaf in the wind sort of feeling to what I found in book two, but everything made sense with time. Again, there was a beautiful love story, and I cried even harder at the end of this one than I did after book two.

And then I got to the book's glossary, covered in Sieh's graffiti, which was wonderful, much-needed levity.

I loved this series, and I don't feel quite ready to move on to something else yet. I need a day or two to let my mind adjust so that I can move on to another setting and another story.